Friday, November 17, 2006

the potential in music

While Baudrillard would contend that the rapid acceleration of images overwhelmes us creating a culutre of apathy and non-reflection, I disagree. It is true that we are overwhelmed with images, but as our zine project has clearly shown, a positive, albiet provisional, political moment is possible in the midst of the bombardment, and reflection is possible. Perhaps a new type of reflection, one in which the usage of multiple images and mediums as its strength, is a postmodern tool. Through the disarticulation of raw materials (Kipnis), tactile shock (Benjamin) can be achieved and be an innovative method of inspiring change. Hegemonic discourse seems daunting and untouchable at times, however through the ideological problematic (White), cracks and fissures are exposed providing opportunities for an oppositional discourse (Kipnis).
Personally, I see music as the medium holding the most potential in using bombardment as a tool to induce a new type of reflection. Sound can be a sense riddled with multi-layered and overwhelming components, politically and emotionally inspiring as well as extremely personal. In a way, asocial conteplation is one of music's strenghts, for although it is a mass cultural product, it is exremely private, provide a perfect political atmosphere. Because of these characteristics, music has immeasurable strength insofar as it can express numerous ideas, actions, information(s) and emotions simultaneously. It has far reaching effects in that while many people say they political does not interest them, everyone loves music. A possible way of utilizing this into pop cultural practice would be to leave blank cd's/mixed tapes in random places on campus and around the city.

4 comments:

Meghan said...

Let me start by saying that I really like your idea of leaving cd’s around randomly; what I wouldn’t give to see my conservative grandma pick up some good old puddle dive! But when it comes to the deceleration of the masses, I think Baudrillard may be on to something. Sure there are still opportunities for reflection, but I would argue that, more often than not, it simply does not happen. Our class reflecting on our amazing zines is much different than people reflecting on one of the bazillion advertisements they see daily. I know that I can hear the same song on the radio for a month without ever actually listening to the words; it is rare that a mass produced mainstream song will make me stop and say “huh”. So many images, advertisements and news reports are thrown at us every day that it simply becomes impossible to reflect as much as necessary for any kind of resistance. If you do not believe me, just see how easy it would be to walk off campus with university property – people are not ignorant, they just don’t care.

Courtnachine said...

I think you have a very interesting idea here. I know when i wear headphones and listen to music i pay more attention to it than my surroundings. I do still operate on a cd player from the dark ages but i think that most people have evolved past this consumerist wise (ipods). I do find myself listening to the words, and i think people do actually listen too. People learn the words to the songs and like to sing along, and people like to think of themselves as a person in the song (singer/sung to) interpelated perhaps? And I think that music does have power ($0.50) to make people see things a certain way. Therefore i think you should move into HUB and set up your cd player daily and try to reach as many people as possible for your political gain.

aj said...

The answer to the non-stop bombardment of images in our lives is to bombard more images with a specific agenda?

If anything, we need less, not more.

aj said...

While Baudrillard would contend that the rapid acceleration of images overwhelmes us creating a culutre of apathy and non-reflection, I disagree. It is true that we are overwhelmed with images, but as our zine project has clearly shown, a positive, albiet provisional, political moment is possible in the midst of the bombardment, and reflection is possible. Perhaps a new type of reflection, one in which the usage of multiple images and mediums as its strength, is a postmodern tool.

I know how to read good. I wasn't trying to be a dick. I just thought it was an interesting post. I'm more interested in a conversation with you (because that's why people blog, innit, to share ideas?) than with vague insults.

Seriously, though, is it that you disagree that images create apathy, or that we are bombarded with imagery?