I have always believed that empowerment is a positive thing, and part of what makes music such a powerful and personal medium. Empowerment has far reaching and immeasureable effects, which can range from coalition building for human rights to destroying a whole race. So the question I ask is, is empowerment always a positive thing? If after listening to a certain song, speaker, character on a television program or watching the news I feel empowered to the extent that I am going to join a movement of cultural cleansing, is that a good thing?
In regards to the lecture Thursday and specifically to 50 cent, maybe he knew he was an ideological effect and was downright frustrated with that fact, and one day said 'Hey...I am going to make a profit and become ridiculously famous by hyperbolizing the numerous negative stereotypes and discourses that have been put on the African American man by the white man for centuries'. Or perhaps he happened to be discovered and signed by Eminem and the best producer in the business, Dr Dre, who manufactures his beats and promotes him endlessly, making him the next big thing. Maybe it was somewhere in between, either way, it really is irrelavent because at the end of the day the question that keeps coming back to me is: With the amount of conflict and tension in our world today, do we really need more hateful messages spreading, promoting and encouraging sexism, homophobia, rape, addiction and violence?
Perhaps I am trapped inside feminist ideology, but if it is impossible to escape ideology, I feel that the ideological effects that feminism has on me fits who I am and what I believe at this point in my life (or this week anyway). This does not mean that when I am in a social atmosphere I am incapable of enjoying this type of music, yet, it is for the most part on a superficial and often beat-driven level. However in an academic space, especially in a women's studies classroom, I find that my deconstruction and frustration towards 50 Cent is magnified.
Taking into account the historical and cultrual context in which his music is situated, I am glad that instead of being ghettoized, the black under class has a voice of power. I only wish that instead of continuing to promote oppression of others and spreading a self-indulgent and dangerous message to youths of all races and ethnicities, he spoke with a little more social consciousness (like for example, K'naan or K-OS...lyrics found below).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment